Dear Client,

Please be informed that we can only accommodate Visa clients with appointments. We cannot accept walk-in Visa-applications, not even during the office hours.

You can make an appointment at the following link: 

Please be informed, that the following applications can only be submitted electronically (via Enter Hungary) from 1 January 2023:

- registration certificate,

- residence card,

- permanent residence card,

- long-term residence card,

- issuance and extension of residence permit,

- national and EC permanent residence permits,

- notification of place of accommodation  


Please be informed that preferred employers, legal representatives and legal entities acting as representatives may also submit applications by electronic means only, except for applications which can only be submitted in person in all cases (applications submitted within Hungary with the indication of special circumstances and applications for residence permits which can be submitted at diplomatic missions). We would also like to inform you that the request for the official endorsement of the invitation letter and the request for a residence permit for the purpose of visiting cannot be submitted from January 1, 2023.

In all cases clients are advised to check the website of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing beforehand.

Should you accept the appointment, you are also accepting the following: it is the applicant’s responsibility to come well prepared for the appointment; this includes all the necessary completed application form(s) and necessary supporting documents. In case you do not have all the required documents, we cannot accept your application, and you will need to request a new appointment.

Please find below the list of necessary supporting Documents for D visa application.

Please make sure that all of the submitted documents are printed one-sided.

I. General requirements:

  • Fully completed residence permit application form (signed by the applicant, only Hungarian and English version accepted).
  • Valid passport (which must be valid for at least 3 months after returning from Hungary, issued within the last 10 years and containing 2 empty pages).
  • 1 passport-size color photo (US standard size, not older than 6 months).
  • Original US passport or valid US alien registration card (residence permit, green card) or valid US resident visa (except B1/B2 visa).
  • Airplane ticket reservation. (Purchased and confirmed flight ticket(s) with the passenger’s full legal name and departure date.)
  • Adequate and valid travel medical insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with injury, sickness, accident, including visits which result in hospitalization, medical evacuation and repatriation of mortal remains. The insurance should be valid throughout the territory of the Schengen Zone. The minimum coverage has to be EUR 30 000. If applicant will be insured under Hungarian health insurance for the duration of their studies while in Hungary, they still have to present proof of sufficient health/travel insurance that covers the applicant for at least one week after their arrival
  • Supporting documents for accommodation.

Housing confirmation or hotel reservation(s) with applicant’s full name listed.

  • Confirmation of financial resources (the last 3 months of bank statements).

Proof of sufficient means of subsistence for the intended stay, in the form of: bank account statements of the last three months, ending balance at least 1000USD. If the expenses are covered by someone else, we also need a signed statement of financial support.

  • Pre-paid self-addressed envelope with tracking number, in case you would like to have your passport mailed back to you. (Sender and recipient has to be both the applicant.)

Please note that the consul may request the presentation of further documents.

All documents to be presented in connection with the visa application shall be original.

II. Additional requirements:

1) In the case of a residence permit for the purpose of employment, the following additional documents are needed:

  • A work permit, that can be obtained in Hungary from the Labor Authority of the county (or Budapest) where the future employment will take place. The application shall be filed by the future Hungarian employer. Once issued, the work permit shall be sent to the foreigner to submit it with the visa application.
  • A contract of employment. (signed)
  • A document evidencing the use of lodging in Hungary
  • A certificate on how the person will make a living until he receives his first salary (bank account statement, employer’s certificate that he will pay an advance to the person, etc.).
  • Please download the Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 10 or Appendix 15 here.

2) In the case of residence permit for the purpose of pursuing an income-generating activity, the following documents are needed:

  • A certificate on the character of the gainful activity (the articles of association).
  • The resolution on the court registration of the enterprise.
  • A document evidencing the use of lodging in Hungary.
  • A certificate on the acquisition of the qualification necessary for filling the position.
  • A declaration, certificate on the (expected) yearly income.
  • A certificate of the amount of money at the person’s disposal in Hungary.
  • The simplified balance sheet of the previous year (for a firm already operating).
  • A certificate that the firm has no public debt (for a firm already operating).
  • If the firm has Hungarian employees: their employment contracts.
  • In the case of a new enterprise: a brief business plan.
  • Please download the Residence Permint Application Form and Appendix 7 here.


3) In case of a residence permit for educational purposes, the following documents are needed:

  • A certificate of school attendance. (signed)

Proof of current occupation: signed employment verification letter (if working), signed enrollment verification letter (if still in school), or copy of diploma (if recently graduated, but not working). Letter of acceptance to study abroad. (Program and official transcript is NOT proof of enrollment verification. )

  • A document evidencing the use of lodging in Hungary (the document certifying accommodation in a student hostel or the tenancy contract with a duplicate of the title deed).
  • The documents certifying subsistence in Hungary (bank account statement; or the declaration of the parents that they assume coverage of all costs of the stay in Hungary; or the document certifying the scholarship).
  • Attestation of the school that the applicant is exempt from the payment of school fees or that he/she has already paid the tuition fees.
  • Please download the Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 14 here.

4) In case of a residence permit for family reunification or for visiting a relative/friend, the following documents are required:

  • A document evidencing the housing in Hungary
  • A document certifying subsistence in Hungary.
  • Marriage certificate/birth certificate.
  • Copy of the passport of the Hungarian relative.
  • In case the traveler will be staying with an individual in Hungary, then a signed invitation letter with the exact address and specific dates must be shown as proof of accommodations. Owner of residence must include a picture of their Hungarian ID and their Hungarian residential address card with their invitation letter).
  • Please download the Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 2 or Appendix 9 here.


5) In case of a residence permit for research, the following document is needed:


6) Other purposes:


As a general rule, the Hungarian authorities process the application within 30 days.


The application fee can be paid by debit or credit card only (Visa or MasterCard).