Who can initiate the registration and how?

Please note that appointments are required for all consular and visa matters. We cannot accept walk-in applications.

Appointments can be booked directly through our online booking system. https://konzinfobooking.mfa.gov.hu


The application can be initiated by a relative of the deceased. The application can be submitted in-person or by mail.

What forms do I need to fill out?

You can find the necessary application form at the bottom of this page.

When filling out the form, please use a blue ink pen, all CAPITAL letters, and do not sign anything in advance. You may also fill out the form electronically.

Full names must be written everywhere, in the Hungarian name order (Last name, First name, Middle name). Example: John T. Smith must be written as Smith John Thomas.

When referring to cities in the United States, please also specify the state. Do not use abbreviations.

Select option a) (mailing to Consulate) as the place of delivery of the certificate and write "Consulate General of Hungary, New York." This will allow the consular office to mail you the issued birth certificate to the U.S. address you provided.

 What fees are involved?

Death registration is free of charge.


What other supporting documents do I need to submit?

For the application, the applicant must present a government-issued valid picture ID, preferably Hungarian passport.

A document certifying the deceased's Hungarian citizenship must be presented. If the deceased had a valid passport or identity card, those documents must be handed over for the purpose of invalidation.

A copy of the deceased’s Hungarian birth and marriage certificate must be presented, if available.

Marital status at the time of death must be proven, unless the deceased was single – never married.

The consular office cannot accept the application if the original foreign death certificate is not presented. Please note that we do not keep any original documents; we just merely have to see them.


  • Death registration form
    Our office does not have a translation of this form. Should you require assistance, please let us know.