Please note that passports are issued in Hungary, so the delivery time can take up to 5-6 weeks. Please do not plan a trip or purchase a ticket (air ticket, bus ticket, etc.) until the passport arrives, as we cannot be held responsible for any monetary damages resulting from late delivery.


Who can apply for a Hungarian passport and how?

Every Hungarian citizen is entitled to apply for a passport.

An applicant must prove Hungarian citizenship at the time of their appointment with a valid Hungarian ID card, a valid Hungarian passport, a Hungarian passport that has expired within the last year, a valid certificate of citizenship, or a certificate of naturalization. If an applicant does not have any of the documents listed above and does not have an active record in the Hungarian Civil Registry, then they first need to apply for verification of citizenship.

Expedited passports cannot be requested at a foreign representation.

There is no paperwork necessary for passport applications. You do not need to bring a photo.

What documents do I need to bring with me?

Please bring a valid picture ID (Hungarian passport / identity card / driver’s license) or if these are not available: foreign passport / driver’s license. If your previous Hungarian passport has already expired, please bring it with you.

If you have a birth certificate and an official proof of address (= address card, lakcímkártya), please also bring these with you. 

What are the differences when applying for minors?

The application of a minor - or a person under guardianship - can be submitted by the parent (legal guardian) only.

Both parents must be present and they must present the child's birth certificate at the time of the application. The absence of one legal guardian’s personal appearance is accepted if and only if that other legal guardian can provide a statement of parental consent (see below for form). This statement can be signed in front of a Hungarian notary public or a Hungarian consul only.
Please note that as of July 1st 2020, the statement of consent can only be accepted within 15 days of its signing.

Children over the age of 12 must be present, since they must provide fingerprints and a signature. Passport photo will be taken at the time of appointment.

Children under the age of 12 do not have to appear in person, since they do not need to provide fingerprints. In this case, the parent must provide 1 good quality passport photo.

Passport validity:

Minors under 6 years: 3 years
Minors aged 6-18: 5 years
Legal adults: 5 or 10 years

What fees are involved?

You can find the relevant fees here.

We only accept credit card (VISA, MASTERCARD) OR money order for the payment of consular fees, payable to the CONSULATE GENERAL OF HUNGARY



Statement of parental consent, in case of minor
+ translation