- Heat camera inspection is operational at the airports for passengers arriving from China, Italy and South Korea. Iranian citizens are subject to temperature checks upon entering.
Functioning of the Operative Staff
- Continuous manufacturing of protective masks is managed by the Hungarian Prison service, which has a manufacturing capacity of 25 thousand masks per day.
- The Operative Staff has not issued coercive measures with regard to public, cultural and sport events, or school attendance, nor have any settlements been closed down.
- Hungary is prepared for the appearance of the disease, its localization and the management of a possible pandemic.
Shipping and freight industry
- The shipping and freight industry is especially exposed to the effects of the disease due to the considerable transit traffic through the quarantined region of Lombardy.
- The area is especially important for the food and agricultural industries and there are many depos that are frequented by Hungarian trucks (the township of Casalpusterlengo and its surroundings).
- Events of the past few days also reflect this issue. One truck driver was unable to leave a quarantined area, while another one was quarantined after arriving home because he had passed through an afflicted area.
- Negotiations with the secretary of the Hungarian Road Transport Association were conducted at the request of Minister Szijjártó, with the following two requests to the HRTA:
- To convey the following message via e-mail and all available channels to their drivers: Should they experience symptoms after having passed through an affected area in Northern Italy, they should immediately report to the HRTA and also notify their primary physician or the National Public Health Centre through its green number.
- To notify truck drivers to register for consular protection should they plan to head to Northern Italy or any other affected country.
- National measures regarding COVID-19 have been implemented. Thus, any person with fever over 38 degrees who has visited affected regions will be considered to be a suspicious case in terms of public health.
- There is no existing vaccine or medicine for COVID-19.
- More than 80 % of the infected are symptom-free.
- In general, the majority of the mortality cases occurred in the case of elderly patients or patients with other existing illness.
- Without symptoms, a case cannot be considered to be suspicious. The lab results can be ready within a matter of hours, only then can one confirm or deny the illness. For the sake of expediency, there is only one accredited lab because single flow care is the basis of epidemic control.
- All hospitals are required to review their own crisis control plan.
- In the event of reasonable grounds for suspicion, patients will be taken to the South-Pest Hospital Centre (Saint László Hospital) where they can be treated in proper isolation.
- The primary care facility for COVID-19 is the South-Pest Hospital Centre. Should this prove to provide insufficient capacity, other hospitals in the country will also join in through their departments of infectology and haematology.
- There is no top limit for placing infected persons. The list provided by the Operational Staff consists of facilities where quarantining is possible even outside the hospital.
- The pavilion system of the Saint László hospital allows the staff to observe the quarantined individuals separately and the capacity there can be increased as required.
Isolation and Quarantine:
- There are 16 individuals quarantined in Saint László Hospital. Lab tests did not reveal the existence of COVID-19.
- Three symptom-free Hungarian citizens were quarantined following their return from Cambodia. They have returned home over the weekend.
- Last Sunday, a group of 11 female high school students arrived from Milan along with a teacher and a driver. All were quarantined. COVID-19 tests are all negative. They are symptom-free and handling the quarantine well.
- There is an increasing demand by the public for non-perishable foods, protective masks, baby food and thermometers.
Action Plan of the Operative Staff for protection against the Coronavirus epidemic
National Police Headquarters (Hungarian abbreviation: ‘ORFK’)
- 1) As a priority, the ORFK should propose procedures for the control and inspection of border traffic and for the prevention of the spread of the epidemic, the measures to be implemented, and the necessary border protection tools. Border controls and inspections should pay particular attention to persons who are arriving from China or have been in contact with persons proved to be infected within the 14 day period prior to their presentation at the border for entry.
- 2) Install the available thermal cameras and explore the possibility of purchasing or renting additional high-capacity thermal cameras.
- 3) In cooperation with the National Public Health Centre, establish a toll-free telephone number (green number).
- 4) Through the National Healthcare Service Centre, acquire the necessary health equipment recommended by the National Public Health Centre.
- 5) Provide adequate health protection, personal protective equipment and disinfection facilities for those persons operating at border crossing points. Ensure that the involved staff are adequately trained.
- 6) Ensure the separation of infected persons at the border crossing point.
National Public Health Centre (Chief Medical Officer)
- 7) Define and implement procedures to control the epidemic and inform those involved in the healthcare system, particularly in those areas with border crossing points.
- 8) Check the range, quantity, and quality of the medical supplies needed for protection, both in stock and in production. If necessary, arrange for additional supplies.
- 9) Review the capacity of the testing laboratories and ensure that the required prioritised tests are performed.
- 10) Through a public awareness campaign, introduce the citizenry to the website containing information on the virus.
- 11) Ensure that the medical and health services of the higher education institutions have the conditions required to follow the procedure to be implemented in relation to students returning from abroad.
- 12) After the establishment of the toll-free number (green number), ensure the availability of the appropriate medical service background.
National Healthcare Service Centre
- 14) Under the authority of the Operative Staff, following the approval of the Minister of Human Capacities, arrange the acquisition of medical equipment for the organisations and institutions involved in protection.
National Ambulance Service
- 15) Ensure that potential patients detected at border crossing points are transported to a health facility.
- 16) Check and ensure that the care staff are fully equipped with the appropriate protective equipment. If necessary, arrange for the replacement of that equipment.
National Institute of Haematology and Infectious Diseases
- 17) Prepare the available patient care fields for receipt of patients.
- 18) Prepare a plan of action to expand the available accommodation capacity.
Hungarian Prison Service Headquarters
- 19) Prepare to switch to the manufacture of health protective equipment.
National Directorate General for Disaster Management of the Ministry of Interior
- 20) Notify the Operative Staff promptly of any change in the state of preparedness of the integrated response measures of the European Council.
- 21) Cooperate with the specialised bodies of the European Commission and provide information to the Operative Staff.
Counter-Terrorism Information and Criminal Analysis Centre
- 22) Take action to prepare informative materials for the Operative Staff on a priority basis.
- 23) Monitor the disease control measures of the Member States of the European Union, the development of air traffic from China and the related state measures. Report that every 24 hours until further directed.
National Directorate-General for Alien Policing
- 24) In cooperation with the Chinese Embassy, arrange for the temporary right to remain for Chinese citizens who cannot return to their country of origin.
- 25) The Operative Staff calls upon the Ministry of Interior, involving the Ministry of Finance, to initiate an exemption from the public procurement procedure for procurements ordered by the National Healthcare Service Centre.
- 26) The Operative Staff calls upon the Ministry of Interior to provide IT support for data, information and reports related to the work of the Operative Staff.
- 27) The Operative Staff calls upon the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade to provide continuous information on the situation of Hungarian citizens awaiting evacuation. In addition, with the involvement of the Tourism Agency and the National Directorate-General for Alien Policing, prepare information material on experiences and trends related to the entry and exit of Chinese citizens.
- 28) The Operative Staff calls upon the heads and maintainers of public schooling and public education institutions, and mayors, to contact the regional offices of the National Public Health Centre if they become aware of any infected person who has arrived from China.